Monday, November 10, 2008

I was helping my mom out with some errands this weekend, and was annoyed by how much marketing there was for the new movie High School Musical 3. Nearly everywhere I went, there were posters for the movie, as well as hundreds of t-shirts, socks, jewelry, belts, pj's, and many other articles of clothing which had one of the actors from High School Musical imprinted on it. I even saw cell phones and ipods decorated with images of Troy Balton or Gabriella. And just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I entered the toy section... where there was an entire isle packed with Barbie versions of different High School Musical characters. Wherever I'd turn my head, I'd see something else.

I found it rather amusing, but then again, it's also pathetic.

The fact is that the stores wouldn't be selling all of these products if people didn't want them. This reveals that there is some kind of unnatural obsession with this movie amongst the middle-schoolers of this country. From what I've seen, they strongly admire and look up to the characters in the movie. Can't ten-year-old kids find better role models? Anything would be better, in my opinion, due to the fact that High School Musical is just about as superficial as it gets...and when your obsessed with something, it shapes the way you think.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Yeah...I've noticed this too.

It's really very common for girls that age to be obsessed with things. Highschool Musical is quite a bit better than the alternatives too, as is free from much of the sexual content that plagues television.

It's funny how much "Highschool Musical" paraphernalia is available for purchase...

Lizzy said...

The thing that bothers me about Highschool Musical is that it glorifies and exults in highschool drama. Blah. As if we don't get enough of that already, we have to watch their drama, which is only more interesting because they accompany it with singing and dancing. It's rather pathetic, as you so wisely stated. :D Ah, the decline of our culture. It saddens me that something that lame is what little girls are obsessed with. But as Sharon said, HSM is preferred to some of the alternatives. Where does that leave us, though, if it's the best they can offer?

Love ya, Becca!